SPFL Reserve League 2
Lesser Hampden Park
Tuesday 20 August 2019

Mistakes at the back and a failure to take their chances saw Queen’s reserves fail to gain a point in their opening SPFL Reserve League 2 game of the season last night at Lesser Hampden.

A fine warm sunny evening welcomed the two sides to the Lesser Hampden pitch.  Queen’s fielded a side with a fair amount of first team experience.  East Stirlingshire also had an experienced side out.

Queen’s started the game brightly, pushing East Stirlingshire back, but in the third minute were caught out when a long clearance was not cleared by the Queen’s defence allowing the East Stirlingshire number 9 in to slot the ball low to Heraghty’s left and into the far corner of the net.

East Stirlingshire take the lead

In the 6th minute Queen’s had their first shot on goal. Excellent midfield play by Thomson who played a one two and from 20 yards out fired a cracking shot which was well held by the keeper.

A minute later Queen’s made their first enforced substitution of the evening replacing Cammy Foy with Aidan McDonald.

The game continued with East Stirlingshire slightly having the upper hand but neither team troubling the goalkeepers.

In the 16th minute Adam Martin went close when he fired in a free kick from 20 yards out which brought out a fine save by the East Stirlingshire keeper.

Two minutes later, somewhat against the run of play,  East Stirlingshire doubled their lead. Another defensive error by the Queen’s defence allowed the East Stirlingshire number eight to take advantage and drive a low shot past Heraghty into the far corner of the net.

East Stirlingshire make the score 2-0

Queen’s responded immediately and were unlucky not to pull one back. Reagan Thomson played a beautiful ball through to McFarlane who was one on one with the keeper.  Unfortunately this time the keeper blocked the shot.

In the 24th minute Queen’s created a chance through superb inter-passing in the midfield to allow Grant a shot on goal. This time the shot went narrowly past the post.

One minute later a poor clearance by the East Stirlingshire keeper gave Thomson a clear shot on goal.  To his credit the keeper scrambled back and push the ball away from danger.

In the 33rd minute a great run by Main resulted in the shot being blocked.  Martin picked up the loose ball, waltzed past two defenders before hitting a shot which, once again, was saved by the keeper.

Queen’s were now well on top of the game, dominating possession and pushing East Stirlingshire back. They were getting space behind the defence and creating a few chances.

In the 36th minute another chance went a begging.  Martin beat the defender and crossed the ball into the six yard box only to see McFarlane just too late to connect.

In the 37th minute, entirely against the run of play,  East Stirlingshire scored a third. A diagonal cross from a deep position wide left was met by their number 7 who bulleted his header into the net from 16 yards out.

East Stirlingshire make it 3-0

Queen’s, to their credit, continued to battle and did create some more chance before half time.

Half time: Queen’s Park 0 East Stirlingshire 3

Queen’s opened the second half very positively. In the first 5 minutes they had two free kicks, one hitting the bar.

East Stirlingshire showed their experience by time after time closing down space and blocking the shots by the young Queen’s players.

In the 63rd minute a double substitution for Queen’s, Main and McFarlane replaced by Paton and McGuire.

In the 66th minute Queen’s pulled one back when Reece McGuire fasted onto a through ball and slotted the ball past the East Stirlingshire keeper. A well taken goal.

Reece McGuire pulls one back

Queen’s upped the tempo of their game and battled to pull more back but were denied by a resolute East Stirlingshire defence on more than one occasion.

In the 75th minute Queen’s made their final substitution of the night replacing Clark with Dickson.

Queen’s continued to create chances but a combination of good defending and not particularly accurate shooting denied them a goal.

Three minutes from time Queen’s got the goal their efforts deserved.  A long shot from Paton was parried by the East Stirlingshire keeper allowing McGuire to pounce and hit the ball into the net.

Reece McGuire scored his second of the evening

Full time: Queen’s Park 2 East Stirlingshire 3

Queen’s put a lot of effort into the game and created a number of chances.  But mistakes at the back cost them dearly.

Queen’s Park: Jacques Heraghty, James Grant, Cameron Clark(Cameron Dickson 75mins), Cameron Foy(Aidan McDonald 7mins) , Robert Griffiths, Scott Gibson, Lee Whitmore, Luke Main (Ross Paton 63mins), Ross McFarlane (Reece McGuire 63mins), Reagan Thomson, Adam Martin

Subs:  –

SPFL Reserve League Two

Ayr United961231112019
East Stirlingshire116143229319
QUEEN'S PARK115152718916
East Kilbride105141914416
Albion Rovers104241917214
BSC Glasgow101271437-235
Alloa Athletic101181348-354