A ‘rare’ goal by Conor McVey was enough for a share of the points against a strong and well organised Queen of the South on Wednesday night.

This ‘Top of the League clash’ was eagerly anticipated by both sides in the lead up to the game.  Queen of the South had won all four of their games so far this season.  In their last game they knocked six past Morton.  The young spiders were equally impressive winning all five for their opening fixtures.

The team took to the pitch with rain battering down.  A very familiar former Scottish internationalist, James McFadden, started at number 10 for the Doonhamers.

With the form both teams were on it was no surprise that the game was a midfield battle in the opening minutes.

The young Spiders were being closely marked by QOS and denied any unpressurised time on the ball.  They took a while to adjust to the pace of the game.

Neither side had any shots on goal during the first 30 minutes.  Queen’s Park had just about the best of the opening period but really there was not much between the teams.

In the 43rd minute Queen’s keeper Michael White pulled off a cracker of a save when he dived to push over the bar a shot which looked bound for the net.

Half time: Queen’s Park 0 Queen of the South 0

Queen’s replaced Grant Brennan with Declan Walsh at half time.

One minute into the second half Queen of the South broke the deadlock. They attacked down the right. A shot was fired in from wide right which hit the post. The QOS number 11 reacted quickly and from 8 yards out shot past the defence into the net.

Two minutes later Queen’s got the first of two penalties. Conor McVey was brought down inside the QOS box. Kevin Green stepped up to take the kick. The penalty was brilliantly saved by the QOS keeper.

Two minutes later Queen’s were awarded a second penalty. Ronan McLaughlin, who was causing QOS problems with his direct running, was brought down inside the box. This time Ronan took the spot kick. The ball went to the keeper’s right this time and yet again he pulled off another fantastic save to deny the Spiders.

In the 62nd minute Queen’s finally get the ball in the net.  Conor McVey won the ball in the midfield, drove into the QOS box, beat a defender and slid the ball under the advancing keeper into the net.

That goal gave the young Spiders confidence and they took hold of the game.  The speed of the Queen’s side were causing problems in the QOS defence.

In the 77th minute another great save by Michael White when he pushed a QOS header over the bar.

In the 79th minute Queen’s made their second substitution of the evening.  Cammy Dickson replaced by Aaron Mooney.

No more goals but a great game of football showing why both sides sit at the top of the Development League West table.

Full time: Queen’s Park 1 Queen of the South 1

Queen’s Park: Michael White, Andrew Henderson, Lewis Magee, Luke Whelan, Anton Houghton, Kevin Green, Calvin McGrory, Conor McVey, Grant Brennan (45mins Delcan Walsh), Ronan McLaughlin, Cameron Dickson (79mins Aaron Mooney).

Subs: Daniel Crawley, James Grant, Aaron Black,  Owen Stott