Queen’s 20s unbeaten League run came to an abrupt end against a powerful and well organised Airdrie side on Wednesday night.

Queen’s welcomes Airdrieonians to Lesser Hampden on Wednesday night for yet another table topping match.   Airdrie were just below Queen’s in the table winning 5 and drawing 1 out of 7 games so far this season.  Queen’s had won 5 and drawn 2 out of an equal number of games.

A perfect autumn evening awaited both sides.  Cool, no wind or rain.

Airdrie stared the game the better team, pushing Queen’s back and controlling the midfield.

In the 7th minute Airdrie took the lead.  An attack down the Queen’s left saw the Airdrie number 10 drive into the Queen’s box, beat two players before firing a low shot across Michael White into the far corner of the net

Four minutes later Grant Brennan almost pulled one back. A great run down the left by Grant saw him beat two defenders before hitting a shot which was deflected for a corner.

In the 23rd minute Michale White pulled off a great save diving low to his left to hold onto a shot.

In the 25th minute Airdrie increased their lead. A poor clearance is snapped up by the Airdrie midfield.  The ball is played to the Airdrie number nine who stepped in and fired a low shot across Michael White into the far corner of the net.

The first 30 minutes saw Airdrie controlling the game.  They put pressure on Queen’s when they had possession and exploited the space behind the defenders.  Queen’s defended well but too ofter gave away possession through poor passing.

Half time:  Queen’s Park 0 Airdrieonians 2

Two minutes into the second half Lewis Magee was sent off for pulling the Airdrie forward back in. a last man scenario.

In the 55th minute Queen’s pulled one back.  Calvin McGrory fired in a cross wide left.  Luke Whelan picked the ball up and hit a shot below the advancing Airdrie keeper from about 7 yards out.

As often happens once a team goes down to 10 men they start to play better.  Queen’s upped their tempo and stared to put Airdrie under pressure.

In the 64th minute Airdrie got a third.  Queen’s who were really testing Airdrie, were caught short at the back which allowed the Airdrie forward to score.

That third goal by Airdrie knocked a lot of confidence out of the young Spiders.

Queen’s made their first substitution of the night in the 65th minute replacing Andrew McLaughlin with James Grant.

Another substitution was made in the 76th minute replacing Jordan Pender with Anthony McGuire.

Queen’s continued to get back into the game but with each increasing minute Airdrie grew in confidence.

Full time:  Queen’s Park 1 Airdrieonians 3

Queen’s Park: Michael White, Jordan Pender (76mins Anthony McGuire), Alistair Miller, Andrew Henderson, Lewis Magee, Luke Whelan, Calvin McGrory, David Green, Joseph Manderson, Andrew McLaughlin (65mins James Grant), Grant Brennan

Subs:  Cameron Dickson, Declan Walsh, Aaron Black, Ronan McLaughlin, Lewis Sanderson