Goals from Declan Walsh and Andy McGlaughlin looked enough to beat Hamilton Accies until a cruel 86th minute equaliser forced the tie into extra time.

A cold windy night greeted the players on to the SuperSeal pitch.  It had been raining heavily during the warm up but the heavens relented in time for kick off.

Accies started the game confidently.  They dominated the midfield and used the full width of the pitch to good advantage.

In the 15th minute it was Queen’s who had the first real chance to take the lead.  Excellent lead up play found Grant Brennan one on one with the Accies keeper.  Grant fired in a low shot but it was blocked by the keepers’ feet.

During the opening 20 minutes Accies dominated the game.  Queen’s were pinned back but defended superbly and didn’t allow the speedy Accies any real shots on goal.

Five minutes later Accies went one up.  Lewis Smith was brought down inside the box.  Accies Ross Cunningham converted the penalty to make the score 1-0.

In the 32nd minute Queen’s equalised.  Good play on the right resulted in Declan Walsh with the ball 20 yards out.  He beat two defenders and hooked a shot high over the Accies keeper into the net.  An excellent goal.

In the 37th minute Accies should have gone ahead.  A cross from the right was met by the onrushing Accies forward but he headed the ball past the far post.

Half time:  Hamilton Accies 1 Queen’s Park 1

8 minutes into the second half Accies had a great chance to take the lead.  A poor passback was pounced upon by  an Accies forward but his shot missed the goal.

In the 58th minute Queen’s keeper Owen Stott went off injured and was replaced by Lewis Sanderson.

Two minutes later Queen’s went in front.  Andy McGlaughlin picked up a poor clearance by the Accies keeper and slotted the ball into the far corner of the net.

In the 63rd minute Lewis Sanderson pulled off a fine save diving low to his right to push an Accies shot away from danger.

In the 67th minute Queen’s made a second substitution replacing Jordan Pender with James Grant.

In the 73rd minute Andy McGlaughlin was replaced by Aaron Black.

As the game progressed Queen’s were pushed further back as Accies upped their play and pushed to equalise.

In the 87th minute Accies finally equalised. From a free kick on the right Accies Jack Breen connected with the cross and fired a high looping ball over the Queen’s keeper into the net.

Full time:  Hamilton Accies 2 Queen’s Park 2

3 minutes into the first period of extra time Accies took the lead.  The ball was played down the right wing, cut back for Accies Ryan Tierney to slot the ball past Lewis Sanderson to make the score 3-2 to the Accies.

This goal did not disillusion the young Spiders.  They fought hard for possession and chased every ball.

At the start of the second period of extra time Queen’s nearly equalised with a shot on gaol straight from the kick off.

In the 109th minute Queen’s came close to equalising.  A free kick by Calvin McGrory from the edge of the D beat the Accies keeper but rebounded off the bar.

In the 112th minute Accies stretched their lead. A long ball from their keeper was played onto forward Marc Kelly who slotted it past the advancing Queen’s keeper.

AET:  Hamilton Accies 4 Queen’s Park 2

Queen’s Park: Owen Stott (58mins Lewis Sanderson), Andrew Henderson, Alistair Miller Anton Houghton, Lewis Macgee, Jordan Pender (67mins James Grant), Andrew McGlaughlin (73mins Aaron Black), Calvin McGrory, Ronan McGlaughlin, Declan Walsh, Grant Brennan

Subs: Aaron Mooney, Daniel Crawley, Luke McCall, Cameron Dickson