Queen’s maintained their 100% start to their development league campaign with a 2-0 victory over Clyde – despite being forced to use all their subs in the first quarter of the game- and finishing the match with 10 men. The Spiders back room team will be hoping the injuries aren’t too serious, but they will be delighted that the young Queen’s team managed to cope with such difficulties and still record a comfortable victory at a wet and miserable Lesser Hampden.

Almost straight from the start Queen’s looked to take the game to the visitors and they won their first corner in the second minute but unfortunately for Queen’s, defender Lewis Magee was forced off after a nasty collision with the Clyde keeper in the move that led to the corner. The corner came to nothing and Magee was replaced by Andrew Henderson shortly afterwards.

Queen’s first chance came just a few minutes later as Donnelly played Brennan in to go one on one with the Clyde keeper who produced a good save to keep the scores level. Queen’s continued to press forward in search of the opener but nothing came of the two corners won inside the opening ten minutes.

It was end to end stuff and the visitors had a couple of chance of their own and Queen’s had keeper Stott to thank for keeping the visitors at bay with a good low save in the twelfth minute.

There were chances at either end before the opening goal came in the 19th minute as Grant Brennan curled a right footed effort past the Clyde keeper and into the back of the net.

Minutes later the Spiders had a chance to double the lead, McGrory took a short corner to Donnelly who went for goal with the outside of his boot, only to be denied by a decent save from the visitor’s keeper.

With just 21 minutes on the clock Queen’s were forced into their second substitution of the match with Grant Brennan being forced off through injury and replaced by Alastair Miller.

Two minutes later Queen’s were dealt another blow as Luke Whelan was forced off and replaced by Andrew McGlaughlin. 23 minutes in and Queen’s had used their entire quota of substitutes.

Despite the changes the Spiders adapted well and continued their search for a second goal. That should have came just short of the half hour mark but David Green blasted a close range effort over the bar, much to his own dismay.

Clyde were far from out of the game and were giving as good as they got in attack, Ronan Sweeney looking particularly lively and almost every Clyde attack going through the midfield playmaker.

Queen’s second goal came with just under ten minutes to the break. McGlaughlin picked out Donnelly who fired past the keeper from around 12 yards, giving Queen’s a bit of breathing space.

Half time: Queen’s Park 2-0 Clyde

The second half started in a similar fashion to the first half with both sides looking to get forward at every opportunity with the Spiders first real opportunity coming in the 49th minute through Luke Donnelly but he saw his 18 yards effort blocked.

With 55 minutes on the clock the visitors had a great chance to get back into the game. A short corner was taken which found then found the head of the Clyde number 10 who managed to direct a header over the bar from just six yards out, a let off for the Spiders.

Clyde made a double substitution just on the hour mark but it playmaker Sweeney remained the biggest threat for the visitors, causing problems almost every time he ran at the Queen’s backline. He saw a goal bound effort deflected wide for a corner just after the hour mark but the visitors failed to make the most of the chance and the corner came to nothing.

The first booking of the match came just a minute later when Flynn was booked for the visitors after committing a foul just inside the Clyde half.

Clyde continued their search to get back in the game and the Spiders again had keeper Stott to thank when he got down to make a decent low save in the 65th minute to keep the advantage at two for Queen’s.

With twenty minutes remaining, and Queen’s having used their quota of substitutes in the first half, it looked as though we would be finishing the game with ten men as David Green went down in the middle of the park with no one in his immediate vicinity. Thankfully after treatment, the central midfielder was able to return to the action.

Queen’s were eventually made to finish the game with ten men though as goal scorer Donnelly was forced off in the dying stages of the game but the Spiders were able to see the game out without too much difficulty.

Full time: Queen’s Park 2-0 Clyde

Queen’s Park: Owen Stott, Grant Brennan (Alistair Miller 21), Ciaran Summers, Anton Houghton, Lewis Magee (Andrew Henderson 5), Kevin Green, David Green, Luke Wheelan (Andrew McGlaughin 23), Joseph Manderson, Luke Donnelly, Calvin McGrory.

Unused substitutes: Daniel Crawley, Ronan McGlaughlin, Declan Walsh, Lewis Sanderson.